Qualification: B.Sc. / B.E. degree in a computer science, information technology, computer related discipline or 5+ years IT work experience in a global information technology infrastructure environment
Location: USA, India, UAE
Compensation: As per industry standards
The System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) Engineer is responsible for managing and maintaining the global enterprise SCOM platform and Operations Management Suite (OMS). The SCOM platform within Extern is the “single pane of glass” for monitoring all technology systems and applications globally.
The SCOM Engineer will be responsible for collaborating with Windows and Linux systems engineers, application technical support analysts and developers, internal and external support teams, both offshore and internal, to determine requirements for filters, events, alerts, and dashboards and reporting in various monitoring tools.
This role also has responsibility for supporting the other System Center components including Configuration Manager, Service Manager, Orchestrator and OMS, as necessary.
- Perform administrative tasks from the Operation Manager console, provide application support for the SCOM platform and create and maintain monitoring and notification rules.
- Review and update SCOM console security, apply patches, create SCOM console roles and reviews, and create and install custom Management Packs (MP) as needed.
- Deliver SCOM views via Remote Desktop Web Access, create custom reports on results of SCOM monitoring, using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) technologies, and provide problem resolution for SCOM components and related custom scripts.
- Utilize verbal and written communication skills to maintain accurate system documentation and provide training as required.
- Manage customer satisfaction through effectively communicating and managing customer expectations.
- Ability to communicate how to leverage technology to create business value and become more effective and efficient.
- Work with project managers and peers to understand and solve challenging technical problems, produce effort estimates, and improve system functionality, reliability and reduce costs.
- Work closely with a Business Technology peers and management emphasizing collaboration and joint effort to ensure that the needs and expectations of organizational stake holders, business partners, external customers, and third party organizations are met and/or exceeded.
- Transfer knowledge via documentation and training to Business Technology resources.
- Experience with the installation and administration of Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
- Experience in application/network performance and availability monitoring.
- Experience using the Microsoft Windows PowerShell scripting engine to automate tasks with SCOM.
- Experience with System Center Configuration Manager.
- Experience with System Center Service Manager.
- Experience with System Center Orchestrator.
- Experience with Microsoft Operations Management Suite (OMS).
- Experience major Microsoft technologies including PC and server operating systems, Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, SQL Server, Office, and Forefront Identity Management (FIM).
- Knowledge of server virtualization technologies, preferably VMware and/or Microsoft technologies.
- Knowledge of multiple processor systems, RAID hardware, SCSI attached, and storage area network solutions, preferably experience with HP and EMC hardware.
- Knowledge of data backup, replication, and encryption technologies, preferably experience with Symantec NetBackup, and VMWare and EMC technologies.
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN network infrastructure technologies, preferably experience with Orion SolarWinds.
- Knowledge of HTTP, HTTPS, TCP/IP, SMTP, DNS, SSH, TELNET, SNMP, FTP.
- Proficiency in Azure IaaS and PaaS technologies and services.
- Virtual Machines, Cloud Services, Web Sites, Active Directory, SQL Database, Azure Storage, Azure Backup, StorSimple, Virtual Network and Traffic Manager.
- Proficiency in System Center 2012 R2, OMS, Orchestrator, Service Manager, App Controller, MS vnet.
- ITIL Certification is a plus.
- Minimum of 5-10 years IT experience managing deployment of technology components in a specific technical discipline: clients, servers, storage, web platforms, database platforms, security, networks, or communications ideally with a mix of skills that include technical architectures, engineering and operations experience.
- A career track record of engineering, developing, deploying, and maintaining business critical systems in the area of technical expertise including hands on solution development and implementation experience.
- Ability to impact and influence stakeholders and drive alignment on standard global technology solutions.
- Team Player with proven leadership, communication, organizational, and strong interpersonal skills. The role requires significant interaction with many different teams across a global company.
- Self-motivated, with keen attention to detail and excellent judgment skills.
- Ability to establish new standards for quality, performance or productivity.
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills, strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, contractors, managers, 3rd parties, and customers as needed.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.